Dog breeders gain new insights. Canine Reproduction and Whelping brings together information that is invaluable for today’s dog breeder. Author Myra Savant Harris combines her years of experience as a labor and delivery and neonatal care nurse with her passion for breeding dogs to give you practical, useful and unusual information.
Learn how facts about human reproduction, conception and birth can get confused with the very different biology and physiology of the dog. Learn how fragile sperm truly are, when artificial insemination is preferred, and about the unseen causes of unsuccessful breedings. Based on her successful workshops, Myra teaches the reader how to have successful breedings and healthier pups. Canine Reproduction will give you new perspectives on the art of dog breeding.
- How to prepare your young stud dog for breeding.
- How to tell when the bitch is ready to be bred.
- About the role of progesterone in breeding and how to use it to succeed.
- About easy, normal whelpings contrasted with nightmare whelping experiences.
- C-sections made understandable and how to handle aftercare of the bitch.
- How to remove dewclaws with the least trauma to mom and pups.
- Canine Repro and Whelping
- Table of Contents
- Chapter One- To Breed or Not to Breed
- Chapter Two- Different Strokes for Different Species
- Chapter Three- Sperm
- Chapter Four- Artificial Insemination…"AI"
- Chapter Five- Vaginal Swabs and Cultures
- Chapter Six- Progesterone
- Chapter Seven- Oxytocin, Calcium and Glucose
- Chapter Eight- Whelping
- Chapter Nine- Cesarean Sections
- Chapter Ten- Removal of Dew Claws
- Chapter Eleven- I've Come to the End
- Warming Box Ordering Form
by Myra Savant-Harris R.N., 2006, 85 pgs, eBook.
What others are saying:
"I learned many useful points in Puppy Intensive Care. From her great “warming box” concept to correct suctioning, from the availability of frozen colostrum to the Whelping Nest, Puppy Intensive Care is a definite pick for the litter.
- Pat Hastings, Breeder, Judge, Lecturer and Author of Tricks of the Trade
"A must-read for those who plan to breed, whelp and raise pups. She not only covers the basics of care for the newborn, she also walks you through the important steps necessary to maintain their health and development."
- Carmen Battaglia, Breeder, AKC Board Member, Lecturer, author of Breeding Better Dogs
"From typical but exciting puppyhoods to incidents that promote heart-pounding fear, this book covers the expected and the unusual day-to-day nursery care. Is an umbilical hernia inherited or not? How do we tell if a puppy is dehydrated? Here are the answers. An instructional DVD is included showing breeders the proper methods for giving oxygen, subcutaneous injections, tube feeding, and more. This book belongs on every serious breeder’s bookshelf."
- Chris Walkowicz, Breeder, Judge, DWAA Past President, author of Successful Dog Breeding
"This book on intensive care of puppies provides practical and very useful information to ensure that newborns stay healthy and thrive."
- W. Jean Dodds, DVM, President, Hemopet
Myra Savant-Harris, R.N. is also the author of the excellent eBook Puppy Intensive Care.
When you purchase an eBook from Canine Training Systems, you will be able to initiate download from two locations after you enter your information and click "Submit":
Each eBook download contains 3 files types to work with Nook, Kindle, iPad or your PC among other devices. To learn more about our eBooks, click here.
- The online order confirmation page will immediately contain a download link
- Your confirmation email will contain a link above the list of items in your order