Help give your dog the key to the kingdom of scent! Your dog truly rules when it comes to scenting ability, but you hold the key to allow him to learn how to more fully explore his kingdom. And that key is your willingness to work with him in what dog trainers call nosework exercises and games. While your dog has a wonderful innate ability to scent, nosework will present fun and interesting challenges which will make your dog more physically and mentally fit as well as to help solidify your relationship with your dog. Anne Lill Kvam’s The Canine Kingdom of Scent provides you all you need to know in terms of training techniques and tips so that you and your dog can both get all the benefits from doing nosework.
You will learn:
- How to motivate your dog to follow a scent trail or find a hidden item through the use of positive reinforcement and effective rewards.
- The importance of teaching your dog in step-by-step increments and allowing sufficient times for breaks and relaxation.
- The best way to teach your dog the names of his toys, to find lost keys, and how to retrieve items left on a track.
- All about the “pancake tracking” method used to begin to teach your dog how to track and then how to keep your dog challenged as he begins to tackle more difficult tracking exercises.
- 1. The Kingdom of Scent
- 2. Taking Advantage of Natural Behavior
- 3. Points to Consider Before Starting
- 4. Search for Treats
- 5. Hide and Seek
- 6. Naming Your Dog's Toys
- 7. The Search Square
- 8. Finding Lost Objects
- 9. The Lost Retrieve
- 10. Pancake Tracking
- 11. Track Training
- 12. Scent Discrimination
- Sources and Resources
by Anne Lill Kvam, 2012, 122 pgs, eBook.
What others are saying:
"The Canine Kingdom of Scent is an intriguing book for both the experienced trainer and the pet owner who simply wishes to have a great time training nosework with any dog. Anne Lill’s positive and structured training program provides “recipes” to help the dog (and the handler) become calm, confident and focused for success. She includes a wide range of nosework activities from search dog training as well as many fun and useful behaviors anyone can teach their own canine pal."
- Carolyn A. Krause, author of Try Tracking!, AKC Tracking Test Judge Emeritus, AKC Canine Good Citizen Evaluator, Animal Assisted Therapy Trainer/Handler
"This book is one of my favorites and is required reading for my trainer students...This book will help you get started doing nosework with your dog— and your dog will love you for it. For those of who already do nosework with your dog, you will find new, better and easier ways of doing it, as creativity is one of the hallmarks of Anne Lill’s training methods. And, best of all, your dog does not need to be “obedient” or know anything at all about nosework. Just read the book and get started!"
- Turid Rugaas, author of On Talking Terms With Dogs, My Dog Pulls! and Barking, the Sound of a Language
When you purchase an eBook from Canine Training Systems, you will be able to initiate download from two locations after you enter your information and click "Submit":
Each eBook download contains 3 files types to work with Nook, Kindle, iPad or your PC among other devices. To learn more about our eBooks, click here.
- The online order confirmation page will immediately contain a download link
- Your confirmation email will contain a link above the list of items in your order