Right on Target Taking Dog Training to a New Level eBook by Mandy Book and Cheryl S. Smith
Target training provides another way to help you shape behaviors, lets you build speed from the beginning, and focuses the dog on the training. Save your back, work at a distance, or get tricky parts of the dog, such as back feet, moving the way you want them to move. No matter what your training goals, targets can help you get there.Teaching a dog to follow a target is the best way to train both simple and complicated behaviors. Targeting is useful for everything from training the family dog to competitive obedience and agility. Detailed instructions will deliver outstanding results. The definitive book on this simple yet advanced training technique.
Take your training to a new level:
- Learn how to train your dog to target your hand, a contact disk or a target stick, then utilize targets to build complex behaviors.
- Learn how to analyze and break down a behavior into easily trainable steps to get great results.
- Use target training for good manners, therapy dog work, a variety of sports, or to teach tricks.
- Teach your dog how to work at a distance with speed and accuracy.
- Chapter 1 Targeting Basics
- Chapter 2 Nose Touches
- Touch Nose to Hand
- Contact Disk
- Target Stick
- Chapter 3 Foot Touches
- Touch Front Foot to Target
- Front Foot Swipe
- Chapter 4 Body Touches
- Chapter 5 "Good Behavior" Touches
- Get Dressed
- Heel Off Leash
- Heel On Leash
- Chapter 6 Targets for Agility
- Front and Rear Crosses
- Get On
- Go to a Table
- Down Contacts
- Chapter 7 "Social" Targets
- Visit/Go Say Hi
- High Five
- Chapter 8 Targets for Freestyle
Weave Through Legs
- Chapter 9 Targeting for "Show" Business
- Sit Up
- Record Sheets
- Author Biographies
by Mandy Book and Cheryl S. Smith, 2006, 162 pgs, 59 b/w photos, eBook.
What others are saying:
"Mandy and Cheryl have written an excellent “how to do it” for those wanting to explore “targeting” to train dogs. Right On Target
should profit the novice trainer wanting to know how to target train, as well as the expert searching for that “other way” of doing it. This book offers alternatives to the common practice of “luring” to get many behaviors. Mandy and Cheryl explain the benefits of record keeping and offer some sample record forms. I recommend this book!"
- Bob Bailey, US Navy’s first Director of Training, General Manager, Animal Behavior Enterprises, trainer of over 120 species of animals.
"This book exploits learning principles with impressive sophistication yet is completely accessible. I loved the ultra-clear organization, splendid criteria progressions, and clever applications."
- Jean Donaldson, Director of The San Francisco Academy for Dog Trainers, author of, Train Your Dog Like a Pro
, The Culture Clash and Fight! A Guide to Dog-Dog Aggression.
"No matter what your level of expertise, you can teach your dog many useful behaviors by following the step-by-step methods in this great new book. Clean Run Magazine
enthusiastically endorses Mandy and Cheryl’s positive methods and instruction for all types of training."
- Monica Percival, Editor, Clean Run Magazine
"Targeting is one of my favorite exercises to teach my own dogs as well as clients. Right On Target
offers dozens of great new ideas for teaching behaviors. I can’t wait to try them!"
- Pat Miller, author of The Power of Positive Dog Training
"Right On Target is a training book no freestyler should be without, whether they are just beginning or trying for their advanced Champion title. What I liked most about it was that it identified the problems that could come up in specific training areas and told me exactly how to deal with them to get a more exact and reliable response from my dog."
- Patie Ventre, Founder and President, World Canine Freestyle Organizaton
When you purchase an eBook from Canine Training Systems, you will be able to initiate download from two locations after you enter your information and click "Submit":
Each eBook download contains 3 files types to work with Nook, Kindle, iPad or your PC among other devices. To learn more about our eBooks, click here.
- The online order confirmation page will immediately contain a download link
- Your confirmation email will contain a link above the list of items in your order