Behavior Adjustment Training (BAT) was developed by author Grisha Stewart to rehabilitate and prevent dog reactivity. BAT looks at the function of growling, lunging or fleeing and helps dogs learn socially acceptable behaviors that serve the same function. In a nutshell, BAT builds confidence by giving dogs a chance to learn to control their environment through peaceful means. That makes BAT very empowering to your dog or puppy, in a good way. It's also empowering for you, as you learn how to understand your dog and help him learn to safely get along with people, dogs, and other "triggers".
You will learn:
- How to encourage or shape a “replacement behavior” that provides your dog the same “functional reward” as reactivity.
- Why it is important to keep your dog calm in the presence of a trigger while teaching him to make good choices.
- Step-by-step instructions needed to stage BAT set-ups to work with your dog in a controlled environment.
- Practical ways to keep your dog from being pushed into a reactive state in and around your home and on walks.
- How to use BAT preventively for puppy socialization.
Chapters and some content includes:
- 1. Understanding BAT: Key Concepts
- 2. BAT Boy: Peanut's Transformation
- 3. Quick Fixes: Safety and Management Essentials
- 4. Functional Rewards and Replacement Behaviors: An Introduction
- 5. Functional Rewards and Replacement Behaviors for Reactivity
- 6. BAT Set-ups for Reactivity
- 7. BAT on Everyday Walks for Fear and Aggression
- 8. BAT for Frustrated Greeters
- 9. Love thy Neighbor: Fence Fighting
- 10. Puppy Socialization
11. For Trainers and Behaviorists: Using BAT with Clients
- Appendix 1- Clicker Training Foundations
- Appendix 2- Other Techniques that use Functional Rewards
- Appendix 3- For Trainers and Behaviorists
- Appendix 4- Trainers and Clients Share Their Experiences with BAT
- About the Author
by Grisha Stewart, M.A., CPDT-KA, 2012, 224 pgs, eBook.
What others are saying:
" Every trainer should have the methods described in BAT in their tool box. There’d be a lot more happy
dogs and happy owners if they did!"
- Patricia McConnell, Ph.D., author of The Other End of the Leash
" Every trainer who works with dogs that aren’t completely bombproof should have both the technical skills
of BAT and the learning theory behind it in their toolbox. Grisha Stewart presents a thoughtful, reader friendly
protocol that is appropriate for both professionals and laypeople. Both scientific and entertaining,
this book will skillfully guide you through a sticky subject."
- Leslie McDevitt, MLA, CPDT-KA, CDBC, author of Control Unleashed: Creating a Focused and Confident Dog
" Behavior Adjustment Training is an excellent resource for people who have reactive dogs, and the
professional trainers who help them. Grisha Stewart’s instruction is easy to understand, enhanced by
wonderful illustrations, and she includes the “technical jargon” for pros who crave the science!"
- Teoti E. Anderson, PCDT-KA, KPA-CPT, author of Your Outta Control Puppy
When you purchase an eBook from Canine Training Systems, you will be able to initiate download from two locations after you enter your information and click "Submit":
Each eBook download contains 3 files types to work with Nook, Kindle, iPad or your PC among other devices. To learn more about our eBooks, click here.
- The online order confirmation page will immediately contain a download link
- Your confirmation email will contain a link above the list of items in your order