This eBook is in FULL color just like the print version.
Dogs are dogs and wolves are wolves. Except when they aren’t! Most scientists now agree that the dog is a subspecies of wolf—Canis lupus familiaris. And while most wolves look and act differently from most dogs, it can be very hard to make accurate identifications, especially since wolves and dogs can and do interbreed and certain breeds of dogs look and act a lot like wolves.
Having spent years employed at Wolf Park, in Indiana, authors Jessica Adams and Andrew Miller have encountered hundreds of so-called wolves that turned out to be dogs, hybrids that exhibit the characteristics of both wolves and dogs, and even pure wolves that act like dogs. Between Dog and Wolf takes a fascinating look at how wolves and dogs are related, why they can be so hard to tell apart and what rescue organizations need to know when they encounter a canine of unknown origins.
You will learn:
- How and why there are so many misconceptions about wolf behavior.
- What evolutionary forces turned “good social hunters” (wolves) into animals whose key adaptation was to become “good with people” (dogs).
- Which physical and behavioral characteristics displayed by an animal tend to indicate it’s a dog vs. a wolf…usually!
- The state of DNA testing and what it can and can’t tell you about the genetic make-up of dogs and wolves.
- Chapter 1- Modern Wolf Mythology
- Chapter 2- So What are Wolves and Dogs Really Like?
- Chapter 3- Domestication: From Wolf to Dog
- Chapter 4- When Wolves and Dogs Combine: A Genetics Primer
- Chapter 5- Variable Outcomes: It's Not That Simple
- Chapter 6- Practical Advice for Rescue Organizations and Shelters
- Chapter 7- The Current State of DNA Testing
- Chapter 8- Conclusions
- Appendix A- A Brief Mention of Another Suspicious Subspecies
- Appendix B- Facility Contact Information
There is also a list for Recommended Reading and a section about the authors.
Jessica Adams and Andrew Miller, 2012, 184 pages, eBook.
Canine Training Systems also carries a physical version of this eBook in softcover. Between Dog and Wolf- Understanding the Connection and Confusion
When you purchase an eBook from Canine Training Systems, you will be able to initiate download from two locations after you enter your information and click "Submit":
Each eBook download contains 3 files types to work with Nook, Kindle, iPad or your PC among other devices. To learn more about our eBooks, click here.
- The online order confirmation page will immediately contain a download link
- Your confirmation email will contain a link above the list of items in your order