On Target- Training Substance Detector Dogs with Randy Hare- Detection 1 DVD
This is the original 2006 series with Randy Hare. The new 2018 v2.0 video production is here.
The videos that started it all! Having done seminars for the FBI, DEA, Special Forces as well police departments domestic and abroad, Randy Hare’s revolutionary methods for training substance (drug, explosives, accelerants, biologicals) detector dogs is thought provoking and cutting-edge. It begins with a critical analysis and review of conventional detector dog training methods, and then presents the core ideas of the Hare Method:
- Part One: A critical look at canine substance detection training methods.
- A: The problem of extraneous cues.
- B: The problem of the handler as “teacher”.
- C: The problem of “separateness” of target and reward.
- D: The “band-aid”- handler skill.
- Part Two: The cardinal features of The Hare Method
- A: The dog educates himself.
- B: The handler is not the teacher.
- C: The dog learns what not to pay attention to.
- D: The target and reward are not the same.
The balance of the video is devoted to a step-by-step guide to Randy’s methods for using his invention, the Hare Detection Training box, to achieve the detector dog trainer’s first three objectives:
- Part Three: The Hare Method for Canine Detector Training
- Objective 1- Selecting a good detector dog prospect.
- Objective 2- Teaching the Target Odor-Reward Association.
- Objective 2- A: The Hare Detection Training Box
- Objective 2- B: Associating Target Odor and Reward
- Objective 3- Conditioning the Final Response
- Objective 3- The highly active dog
- Objective 3- The less active dog
Copyright 2005 Canine Training Systems®. 70 minutes.
INTERNATIONAL PRODUCTION AWARDS:
- 2005 Videographer Award of Distinction
- Two (2)- 2005 26th Annual Telly Award Winner
- 2005 DV Award Winner
- 2005 MarCom Creative Gold Award
- 2005 Davey Silver Award
- 2005 MCA International Bronze Peak Award
- 2006 Aurora Awards Platinum Best of Show